Secrets and Lies

Not everything in here is true, but it is based on real events.

Name:
Location: Southern California

Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Casa de Curses

And the curse continues. And I continue to be surprised. I'm either the dumbest person on the planet, or the most optimistic. Either one is ridiculous. So I go to LA this weekend for business, and at a party, I meet this guy. We talk for a while, and despite his Michael Bay fetish, we sort of hit it off. We end up making out a bit, and we were going to catch a cab back to his hotel, but through the events that often transpire during drunken adventures, we got separated, and I ended up getting a cab back to where I was staying. the next morning, after some flirtatious texting, we meet for breakfast, talk for a few hours, and then I go to my last meeting for work and bid him adieu. On my way home, several more flirtatious texts are exchanged, with a pseudo promise to meet on another trip to France in the future. Sounds great, right?

Sure, he was a great kisser. And yes, he was intelligent (ignoring Michael Bay for just a moment) and witty and smart and fun. AND he had an accent, being from Australia, so I suppose that was working in his favor as well. "Petrol" is a much more graceful word than "gas", don't you think? Anyway, I kept having this little voice in my head that was telling me something that I either couldn't hear, or didn't want to hear. The only voice I was listening to was saying "This guy is into you. Roll with it." A slightly smaller voice was also saying "He lives REAAAAAALLLLY far away....." but I was stuffing a sock in that one. It was the third voice I should have listened to.

This was the voice that said "This guy is on vacation. Probably from a wife and kids. And you are so convenient. And you live far away." In reality, there is no chance that a guy my age is going to be single. And as we all know, single guys aren't really into me. The ones who are attached is a different story for some reason.

So today I have a little bit of free time, and this guy gave me his business card, so I look up his website. And there, right on the first page, is a video with him in it. Sure, I'll watch it. Everything is fine, until I hear "I got married about four months ago". After that is kind of a blur. I had to rewind it to be sure I heard it right. Check the posting date. Two months ago. So here I am, realizing that this guy hasn't even been married a year, realizing that I fell into the same trap as always, and realizing his AUDACITY at assuming either he wouldn't get caught or I wouldn't care. A little more internet digging, and the whole wifey thing is confirmed multiple times. I wish I could say I couldn't believe it, but really, I can't believe I didn't figure it out sooner. Like as soon as I met him. I really am a fucking moron. And all I have to keep me from really really feeling stupid is the comfort that I didn't go home with him, because we all know where that would have led.

So here I am, living in Casa de curses otra vez, and probably forever. Fucking swell.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home